Not less than 125 DJs from all over the world entered the Ortofon VNL Skratch Nerds World Battle 2020 - a clear sign that turntablism and scratching in particular are still alive. We are happy to announce the undisputed Champion of the Skratch Nerds World Battle - a super talented turntablist from Spain DJ BARRET! DJ ND had a chance to e-meet DJ BARRET for a short talk.
DJ ND: How does it feel to be the new Ortofon World Champion?
- Well, the truth is that I still can’t believe what’s happening to me ... It has been incredible, I am very happy, especially for all the support and messages that I have received in recent days. I am very grateful, and for me this is a true honor. I’m grabbing the opportunity to thank all the people involved in this.
DJ ND: The level was very high this year. What do you think about the competition in general?
- It has been crazy. It was full of scratch nerds. When I saw the list of participants, I knew that this edition was going to be epic. Starting from the second round, it was full of DJs who are references for me. I have seen their videos thousands of times during the last years. That's why all this means a lot to me.
DJ ND: How did you prepare? What does your practice planning look like?
- The truth is that last year, I was focused on this battle. In the previous edition, I learned a lot and I wanted to challenge myself again. I usually practice daily even if there are no competitions. I love spending hours scratching. And I'll keep doing it while I can.
DJ ND: What do you think about the Ortofon loopers? Which one was your favorite?
- They are very dope! It is difficult to choose, but I think I would choose part 2. The work to gather the beats and the work of the producers has been incredible.
DJ ND: We saw some DJs-teens participated this year. What would be your message to them?
- I recommend that they enjoy the learning process. With patience and passion, they will achieve very good results. They already have an incredible technique, and in a few years we will see very talented DJs.
DJ ND: Once the pandemic is under control, would you visit us for a live session?
- Of course! I hope it can be soon, I'm looking forward to it, one of the things that I miss the most is being able to meet other DJs. We all want the situation to end now.
We look forward to future collaboration with DJ Barret.