Ortofon 2M Series is a combination of form and functionality
The 2M Series is developed in conjunction with the Danish designer Møller Jensen Design – the same designer who designed the award winning MC Jubilee and Kontrapunkt series. Inspired by the facets of a diamond, whose contours gracefully trace the grooves on a record’s surface, the 2M’s handsome elegance establishes a great combination of form and functionality. 2M are designed for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove. Our philosophy is to play the record sound as accurate as possible, without coloring the sound.
The name 2M was selected among several ideas. We wanted a modern name which should be easy to pronounce and to remember, and therefore an alpha numerical name was chosen. 2M means MM, which is the abbreviation for moving magnet. Of course the 2M isn’t just another pretty face. It has been engineered to the highest standards and is congruent with Ortofon’s unrelenting commitment to providing the most precise and accurate reproduction possible without coloration.
The 2M Series is available in two configurations: 2M for top mount and the new 2M Verso for bottom mount. Each configuration comprises Red, Blue, Bronze, Black, 78 and Mono models.
- The 2M Series features Ortofon's trademark split pole pins, an invention which enables moving magnet cartridges to have a flat frequency response as with a moving coil cartridge.
- The 2M Red, 2M Blue, 2M 78 and 2M Mono use an improved engine, which provides an optimized sound reproduction and a high level of sonic accuracy.
- The 2M Bronze and 2M Black use a special upgrade engine, featuring split pole pins with a silver plated copper wire.
- Both 2M 78 and 2M Mono use a strapped output to deliver the same output signal from both sets of pole pins. This effectively eliminates the need for mono-specific equipment, making it possible to enjoy true mono reproduction on any stereo playback system.
The new accessory to our range of acclaimed 2M Series cartridges
The new 2M headshell is a practical and elegant solution for our customers who wish direct and easy mounting and replacement on their tonearm. The combination of 2M Headshell and 2M Series cartridge adds unique distinction to the turntable!
2M Headshell feautures:
- Universal mount fitting a wide range of tonearms
- The headshell body manufactured from a special compound used for Medical industry, ensures high rigidity while reducing unwanted vibration
- Elegant hi-tech design
- Length 52mm. Headshell with a 2M cartridge pre-mounted provides correct Baerwald alignment with Ortofon TA-110/210, likewise with the major part of tonearms with universal mount
- Weight 16,9g, weight with a 2M cartridge pre-mounted 23g
- Exclusive plug-and-play solution
NB: The 2M headshell will be available in 2M PnP configuration (2M cartridge pre-mounted on the 2M headshell)
2M Series provides excellent compatibility in an assortment of playback systems and with a wide variety of phono preamps. To find the recommended Ortofon replacement cartridge for your turmtable/tonearm please visit our Replacement cartridges selector ».
Download 2M Series new brochure here
Download 2M and 2M Verso Series Userguide here